Female Wrestling in Manga

A place to talk about our love for the art and artists of Japan, as per their depictions of women's professional wrestling.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

For those that thought I was dead ...

(re posted from what I said at my Yahoo group)

Japan's been pretty quite this year as far as new stuff in mainstream manga and/or anime goes (at least, as far as I know), though there's an adult mag that's been running a new piece drawn by artist Joji Manabe (see image; I grabbed 3 issues) ... but, like "Idol Wrestler"(different mag; on-going), I should think it will be published as a standalone at some point, so I've stopped the single issue shipping; not enough wrestling action to really make it worth while.

In the meantime, I've been gathering more CRAZY expensive rare stuff: "Lady Wrestler Beniko" ... the original Young Jump magazine issues from 25 years ago (1982/83). I've now got 20 of the 23 issues, dropping around $100 each ... Yep, $2000 ... what can I say ... once they arrive, I'm scanning the pages (around 400 in the 20 mags), removing age/printing flaws from the images, thus trying to get the images as clean as is reasonable (there's always more to do!) and saving the "restored" images. I'm sure there's a program out there that could do it for me without going blind staring at the screen for hours, but ...

Old; best I had until now


New; bigger and better

So ... busy, not dead


Oh, one thing that just came out: Issue 3 of the manga series from Super Sonic Satellites; available through Battle


7 Comments:

  • At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can roughly give us the name of the new wrestling manga

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger d2b said…

    If you mean the magazine it's running in right now, that would be Namaikiッ!(ナマイキッ), a monthly men's manga.

    Not yet published as a individual manga, to my knowledge, so nothing else to look for just yet. It started running 11-2007 and is still a feature in the 08-2008 magazine.

    The Namaikiッ! monthly can be ordered though Amazon.co.jp (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/asin/B00193V21I/naga1980-22), but, being an adult item, can only be shipped within Japan, thus you'll need a Proxy buyer or someone you know in Japan to ship to.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will wait for the manga to be out and maybe it can be sold to other countries. Anyway i was wondering if you still have scans for sale like the manga called mike

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to see you're alive. Impressive work with the graphic(s)!

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I actually just received the book from SSS mainly for the segment drawn by Richard. And it's all pretty good, not the greatest I've ever seen but pretty decent. :)

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger d2b said…

    Sadly, I'd have to agree. I got mine last week (the day after I made the post, in fact) and had hoped for a bit more, especially from Papa's piece ... maybe next time.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HOW TO SEND YOU AN EMAIL?
    I´M REALLY INTERESTED IN THIS BLOG ABOUT WRESTLING MANGA AND ANIME.
    ONE QUESTION?
    WHAT´S THE IMAGE "BOOTS BEHIND/INFRONT OF ROPES"
    WHAT´S THE NAME OF THE LADY AND THE MANGA.
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT.
    LET ME KNOW IT AND I´LL BE IN TOUCH.
    THANKS!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home