Female Wrestling in Manga

A place to talk about our love for the art and artists of Japan, as per their depictions of women's professional wrestling.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Here's the deal ...

Just wanted to show you all an auction item that I didn't win recently, so you could get an idea of the way things are played in Japan.


The magazine this was in went for over $500 final price (57,000 yen) before the added shipping and commissions, had I won it. I had called it good at $400 ... here, it would have been lucky to get $25 on ebay, the highest price I've ever sold something for I've brought back. There-in lies my problem.

I had hoped to recoup a bit of cash by posting on this blog and having the 2000-plus members of my Yahoo group stop-by and generate hits for the blog, thus having ad-sense shoot a little cash my way (and it IS a little; in fact, with over 17,000 views over 3 months, my account is up to $28 ... they don't even pay you until $100 is reached); no cost to you, but I would at least get something out of my time, energy and money spent on getting these things together. As of today, there are 180 people stopping by ... at one point, there were 850 ... what other site is doing a page-by-page, hi-rez manga? I sure haven't found it, yet, people don't feel the blog is worth a daily click of a button ... if anybody has something better, please let me know ... the daily check-in at the other sites that never update ... is that really better?

Let's call it a grand experiment that didn't work out. I'll finish up "Mike" for those of you that are grabbing it, but to put more of my stuff out there is only going to hurt me when I get around to selling the actual manga/mags. In fact, with prices the way they are, I'll most likely take all my stuff back to Japan someday and have my contact sell them over there for me.

Anyway, with no real chit-chat here between members, etc, I think I'll call it a day with "Mike", not that I don't care about the few of you that are reading this, but ...

6 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear about your money woes, man. Thanks for Mike, though. It was a really interesting (if very confusing) read. I understand why you will no longer be posting those scans... But I kind of feel bad that I'll never see such things again :(

    And have you been checking your e-mail? Cause I sent you one about 3 weeks ago, but haven't recieved any sort of reply

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger d2b said…

    Sorry about that ... Yes, in fact I've been going through my most recent (still available) buys to try to give you some info per your preferred style request. So far, nothing really hitting me I can steer you towards. You want hard copy, right? The things available, Wu Long, Fight Club, Tarantella ... I just don't think you'd feel it would be worth your spending the cash ... the first two are Ultimate Fighting-type fights, more than anything else, and the last still hasn't even been published as a manga yet (the first two issues being more set-up than anything else) ... I've got stuff I could scan, pages from this, pages from that, but it sounded like you wanted a hands-on manga ... still going through my stuff looking, but yes, I had gotten your email and was working on a response ... should have let you know that ...

    Anyway, not money woes per-se, just the knowledge that at some point I'll sell the stuff, and if all of you get it now... why would anyone buy it later. It's that fine line between collecting something and sharing your finds and thoughts with like-minded collectors, and maintaining the value of your collectables. If I'm paying $400, putting it out there for free and then selling it for $25, well ... that's just plain dumb on my part.

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm more of a boxing/kickboxing- manga/anime/artwork fan myself which seems to be a dying fanbase with sites going down here and there. I hope more enthusiasts step up and make the community grow. While on the subject, hope you have maybe something to share even though this blog is strictly wrestling.


    Anyway, what's the history on what you were going to buy? $500 is a bit much and for that price, I hope you were planning to keep it forever :P

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, that's my bad. I should have realised that going through 200+ manga was going to take a while. Esspecially since you're just doing this in your own free time and getting pretty much nothing out of it. Thanks for digging so hard for me, man. I appreciate it :)

    But yes, I agree with your logic about the manga that you buy on ebay and such. It makes little sense to give it away for free when you plan on reselling it. Although I do think that your idea about selling it through a contact in Japan would yield much more money, even if shipping costs you more. Anyway, good luck with your purchases, I'll continue to stop by as often as possible in hopes of an update :)

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A kind effort and a fun genre. Your reasons for getting out are completely reasonable, even if it is sad for the Internet as a whole. Indeed, this stuff just isn't out there on the web. *shrug*

    Thanks, and best regards!

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This piece of writing is genuinely a good one it helps new internet users,
    who are wishing in favor of blogging.

    Here is my webpage ... coffee makers reviews

     

Post a Comment

<< Home